- base labor budgets on actual number of guests served per hour
- develop promotional sale item analysis to help avoid losses from overstocking or under stocking inventory
- determine theoretical and actual costs of food and the use of ingredients
History of Data Warehousing
- information from other operational applications is not included
- operational systems are not integrated,or not available in one place
- operational information is mainly current-does not include the history that is required to make good decisions
- operational information frequently has quality issues(errors)-the information needs to be cleansed
- without information history,it is to tell how and why things change over time
- operational systems are not designed for analysis and decision support
Data Warehouse Fundamentals
- data warehouse is a logical collection of information-gathered from many different operational databases-that supports business analysis activities and decision making tasks.
- extraction,transformation,and loading(ETL),which is a process that extracts information from internal and external databases,transformation the information using a common set of enterprise definitions,and loads the information into a data warehouse.
- data mart contains a subset of data warehouse information.
Model of a Typical Data Warehouse
Multidimensional Analysis And Data Mining
- database contains information in a series of two-dimensional tables.In a data warehouse and data mart,information is multidimensional,meaning it contains layers of columns and rows.
- cube is the common term for the representation of multidimensional information.
- data mining is the process of analyzing data to extract information not offered by the raw data alone.
- data mining tools use a variety of techniques to find patterns and relationships in large volumes of information and infer rules from then predict future behavior and guide decision making.
A Cube of Information for Performing a Multidimensional Analysis on Three Different Stores,for Five Different Products,and Four Different Promotions
Information Cleansing or Scrubbing
- information cleansing or scrubbing is a process that weeds out and fixes or discards inconsistent,incorrect,or incomplete information
Contact Information in Operational Systems
Standardizing Customer Name from Operational Systems
Information Cleansing Activities
Accurate and Complete Information
- collecting information
- discerning patterns and meaning in the information
- responding to the resultant information